Sunday, January 24, 2010

Movies I love: Tenebre (1982)



Tenebre (1982)

"The impulse had become irresistible. There was only one answer to the fury that tortured him. And so he committed his first act of murder. He had broken the most deep-rooted taboo, and found not guilt, not anxiety or fear, but freedom. Any humiliation which stood in his way could be swept aside by the simple act of annihilation: Murder."

If there was only one of Dario Argento's films I could take with me to a desert island this would be it. The first time I saw this it was under the name "Unsane" on VHS. I liked it but didn't know that the "Unsane" version is missing a bit of footage. Later I picked up the Anchor Bay VHS and then a few years ago the DVD release. There's that opening with the killer reading the passages from the novel. The insane tracking shot up and over a house, it's breathtaking and has to be one of his best moments. Then there's the insane murders. Especially that blood spurting ax to the arm towards the end of the film. The walls literary get painted with the red stuff. And of course that's the rocking score by a few of the former members of Goblin. Plus there's the always wonderful John Saxon and a great bit with his hat.





















4 comments:

Unknown said...

This one doesn't seem to get as much attention as Argento's other films, but I love this one as well. Probably my second favorite after Suspiria.

watch avatar movie said...

Pretty nice post. I just came across your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really liked reading your posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you post again soon!

Franco Macabro said...

THis is actually the only Argento movie that I hate. That tracking shot that goes around the house..I thought it was so completely useless. It really tried my patience! That shot had nothing to do with the story and it led nowhere, most infuriating thing is that it lasts like five minutes or something.

I only really like the last 15 minutes of this one, when they get to the house and its raining outside. the big bloody finale, all else...not so good in my book.

I Like Horror Movies said...

I easily love TENEBRAE more than DEEP RED, and it is in constant battle over my affection with SUSPIRIA. Amazing film, possible what I consider to be the best Gialli ever made =D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...