Wednesday, September 22, 2010

One by one an A to Z trip through my dvd collection

So many DVDs. Sometimes I want to watch something but just can't decide what. So with some inspiration from Dan I have a solution to that. Starting with numerically titled films and then going alphabetically I'll pick a film and watch it. With that I present the first film.


10 (1979)

This was my first time actually seeing the whole film. I recall little bits of it from when my parents watched it on cable back in the early '80's. It was one of those films that I sort of knew about but really wasn't allowed to see it. What with all the nudity and sex going on in the film. It was also one of those movies that didn't play on cable TV till it was my bedtime. Now years later I came across the DVD used. I thought why not give it a shot. I always liked Dudley Moore after seeing the Arthur films. Plus it's got Flash Gorden himself Sam Jones and Don Calfa from Return of The Living Dead in it.

I found 10 for the most part to be a lot of fun. Moore carries the film as George Webber. George's decent into mid-life crisis or as the film calls it "male menopause" is fun. Moore gets to engage in some amusing slapstick bits. He also brings a bit of the drunken Arthur to the role of George Webber. There's quite a few scenes of a sloshed George in the film. Getting older it's easy to root for him. Moore, after all, is a lovable character and we want to see his character find what he's looking for.

The supporting cast does a fine job. Bo Derek, while not my cup of tea does a good job here as an 11 out of 10 and the object of Moore's lust. Julie Andrews as Moore's girlfriend is good, but her character is written as too much of a shrew. Dee Wallace has a small but memorable role as a woman unlucky in the bedroom. Brian Dennehy also turns in a good performance as a wise (Aren't they all) bartender.

The movie is a bit dated now but there's enough knowing charm to make one overlook the films flaws.

Next up is...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

looking forward to this...! it's going to be a big undertaking...!

- Jeff

Kmork said...

Bo Derek, while not my cup of tea does a good job here as an 11 out of 10 and the object of Moore's lust.

I never could understand the appeal of Bo Derek. A good-looking lady, sure, but by no means phenomenal.

Daniel XIII said...

This is going to be a great feature!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...