Sunday, December 19, 2010

Movies I love: Yuletide edition


Christmas Evil (1980)

"But if you're bad, then your name goes in the Bad Boys and Girls Book, and then I'll bring you something... horrible."



Growing up I was all about Halloween and Christmas. The days between October 1st and December 31st were the best days of the year. In many ways they still are. But as you get older Christmas can become a bit more depressing. Especially now. There's bills, people acting crazy in the stores and snow, tons of snow. Lots of times it's hard to get into the Christmas spirit. don't get me wrong I'm no Scrooge but it's just hard to find time for Christmas when you've grown up and have to deal with all the ups and downs life throws at you. All of which leads me to this little bit of X-mas joy called Christmas Evil.



I love Slasher films and the holiday themed ones are favorites. Renting a copy of this o many years ago I was expecting to get a sleazy good slasher outing like Silent night, Deadly night. What I got instead was disappointment. Were was all the killing? Nothing freaking happened for half the movie and then when it did, it didn't last long. Most of the film was about this poor sod named Harry who lives and breathes Christmas melting down till he finally snaps. What a freaking bummer.



A couple years ago a friend of mine rented a couple of DVDs and invited me over. Well the first one he popped in was Christmas Evil! What a difference ten years makes. My tastes had matured. Not only could I enjoy the film for what it was, but for what it was doing. It's a charming film that affirms Christmas time, while at the same time showing how it can be perverted. It's a great Christmas film. It's become mandatory yuletide viewing for me along with Silent Night, Bloody Night, Black Christmas, and Silent Night, Deadly Night. Give it a try on Christmas eve and I bet you'll be feeling Christmas cheer or else!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...