Monday, October 5, 2009

October HorrorFest Day 5



Alone in the Dark (1982)

Directed by: Jack Sholder

Starring: Jack Palance, Donald Pleasance, Martin Landau, Dwight Shultz, Erlan Van Lidth

"I told him that if he does not stop this nonsense immediately, I shall hang him up by his heels and chop him in half."


Bye Bye Bunky

A new psychiatrist, Dr. Dan Potter (Dwight Shultz of The A-Team!) at a mental institution run by Dr. Leo Bain (Pleasance) is targeted by four of the institution's most violent patients or "voyagers" as Bain calls them. The four inmates include Palance as a former prisoner of war and Landau as a former minster who likes to burn churches down whilst there are people still inside. Erlan Van Lidth plays a obese child molester who is almost childlike himself. Then there's "The Bleeder" who won't let anyone see his face and suffers nosebleeds after killing someone. The four are convinced that Dr. Potter killed their former doctor (Who actually went to work elsewhere.) and decided to kill him in retribution. During a citywide blackout they escape the institution and lay siege to the Potter house.


My bloody valentine


One of my favorite 80's slasher films. Blends slasher thrills with some very dark humor. There's some interesting characters on hand. Pleasance's Dr. Bain is pot smoking new age nut, every bit as crazy as his patients. The aforementioned "Bleeder" who dons a hokey mask in one scene to do some killing. Palance and Landau both chew up the scenery like it's going out of style. Plus any film that features a band called “The Sick Fucks” who preform a song called ‘Chop Up Your Mother’ is a must see.


Ladies man


Director Jack Sholder went on to direct A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2: FREDDY’S REVENGE (1985) and THE HIDDEN (1987). Dwight Shultz went on to THE A-TEAM. Palance and Landau went on to both win Oscars. Definitely one of the best entry's in the early 80's slasher sweepstakes.



4 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Why the HELL have I not been informed of this flick before? Well?

Really, people, you need to get on the ball.

Okay, now I am stomping over to Netflix. This had better be there, dammit, or there WILL be HELL to PAY!

(see, I am serious, cause I capitalized some words there.)

I Like Horror Movies said...

Did I just catch a review for one of my all time fav slashers?? WOOOHOO!! LOVE Alone in the Dark, awesome 8-s madness, I cant believe this one is so commonly overlooked but thanks for giving it the review it desvers here Prof!

El Tremendo said...

Terrifically twisted movie.

Professor Brian O'Blivion said...

Thanks guys. Love Alone in the Dark. I remember first seeing it when I was a kid, sneaking a late night viewing on HBO, when I should have been sleeping.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...