Sunday, October 18, 2009

James Cheetham's Top ten picks for Halloween viewing



Mr. Cheetham was kind enough to share his list of top movie picks for Halloween viewing. Read my interview with Dark fiction writer James Cheetham here.



10). Demons (1986) - An Italian flick directed by Bava and produced by Argento. This is an awesome, all out horror flick that takes place in a movie theatre where another horror movie is playing.



9). Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) – Another 80’s flick not unlike Creepshow…love this movie, this is horror mixed with fun (the only thing scarier than Ted Danson covered in seaweed is the fact that three people lost their lives filming this movie, including Vic Morrow).



8). Carrie (1976) – I tend to shy away from most Stephen King adaptations but Carrie has that 70’s appeal I love so much, and an ending that will have you scraping popcorn out of your pants…wait for it…



7). Shaun of the Dead (2004) – Is great Zombie fun while maintaining the horror that the walking dead inflict on the psyche. Many Romero zombie tributes in this one. I could watch this movie over and over again. It is a wonderful Halloween movie if the audience is not too young…



6). The Devils Rejects (2005) - Many don’t appreciate Rob Zombie's attempt at horror movies. Perhaps it is no secret that I am a fan of movies from my earlier years, and though the Devil’s Rejects is a newer movie, I think Rob Zombie truly captures a seventies feel with this flick…



5). Creepshow (1982) – This is another fun Halloween movie. Kids for the most part can watch it, though it is dated compared to newer movies. Still…a childhood memory for me, and one that will never leave my mind.



4). 28 Days Later (2002) – This movie came along when I lost all hope in the horror movie industry. This movie will scare the bejesus out of you, no holds barred. Not for the squeamish…



3). Poltergeist (1982) – I love this movie! This is fun, but intense at the same time. This is also yet another movie with a haunted past. (The death of Dominique Dunne, and Heather O’Rourke).



2). The Shining (1980) – I could live in this movie. I would like nothing more than to spend a winter in a hotel like The Overlook (The Stanley Hotel) in Colorado. Thanks to my friend Gail, a copy of my book has made it there but I have yet to fully appreciate the place in person. The Shining will make you believe in ghosts and have you debating sleeping with the lights on once the credits are rolling.



1). Dawn of The Dead (1978) – This movie is my all time favourite Halloween flick and movie. Not only does it open the whole Romero vault worldwide, this movie is in essence a time capsule of my childhood. I love the seventies. I love the fashion of the zombies wandering the mall. This movie will never leave my collection and in many ways is responsible for my love of zombies, writing, and horror...

1 comment:

Wings1295 said...

Great list. Have seen some of them, but not others. Will check them out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...